Friday, January 18, 2008


RM500,000 theft: Guard is put behind bars for 30 months


A security guard was jailed for 30 months yesterday after he pleaded guilty to a charge of stealing RM500,000 cash, while a mechanic claimed trial to the charge. Magistrate Zaini Fishir @ Fisal ordered Frederick Anggang, 36, from Kampung Suak Nosoob, Taman Kepayan, to serve the sentence from the date of his arrest on Jan 11The court fixed Feb 26 to set the date for hearing the case against mechanic Justin Uisu 38, from Kampung Tanjung Aru Baru, and released the latter on RM6,000 bail with RM2,000 deposited under one local surety.
Frederick and Justin were accused of stealing the RM5 00,000 cash which belonged to Bank Rakyat, Kota Kinabalu branch at about 10.50 am on Jan ll in front of Eon Bank at Api-Api Centre here.The offence under Section 379 of the Penal Code read with Section 34 of the same Code provides a jail term up to seven years or a fine, or both. Counsel Hamid Ismail represented Justin while Frederick was not represented. According to the facts of the case, Jamlin b Vomilis, who is a security guard of Eon Security company, lodged a police report, stating that a bag containing RM500,000, which was put in a van belonging to his company, went missing and he suspected it was stolen. Police investigation revealed that during the incident, the complainant together with his two colleagues were instructed by their company to take a cheque worth RM500,000 from Bank Rakyat to be deposited at Bank Islam. At about 10, l5am, the complainant with his colleagues collected the RM500,000 cheque from Bank Rakyat and cashed it before putting the money in a bag and placed it on a seat at the back of the van. After that, they went to Eon Bank to collect RM600,000 which was to be deposited in Bank Muamalat in the State. When they arrived at Eon Bank, the complainant with one of his colleagues entered the bank to withdraw the RM600,000 while the other colleague waited in the van. When the transaction was done, they proceeded to the Bank Muamalat. However, when they reached the bank, they found that the bag that contained RM500,000 was missing. The CCTV at Eon Bank showed that their colleague who was waiting at the van was seen standing outside the vehicle and smoking a cigarette without properly guarding the van. There was also a man talking to the security guard. Meanwhile, the court set Jan 24 for fixing the date to hear the case of Ronie b Jasmie and a juvenile after they pleaded not guilty to a charge of attempting to steal a motorbike. Ronie, 21, and the 16-year-old juvenile were accused of committing the offence at about lam on Jan 13 at Lorong Sinsuran 4, Blok J. The court released Ronie on RM2,000 bail with RM1,000 deposited under one local surety while the juvenile was released on RM1 ,000 bail with RM500 deposited under one local surety.