Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) candidates have been offered millions of ringgit by certain individuals trying to persuade them to withdraw from the March 8 general election, claimed party vice president Datuk Dr Jeffrey Kitingan. He said many of the party’s 77 candidates vying for state and parliamentary seats, including himself, have been approached or contacted by these individuals. “I was told that some of them were offered up to millions of ringgit. I myself have been offered money,” he told reporters during the launch of the Sabah PKR manifesto at his residence in Bukit Padang here yesterday. According to him, the people offering him money have even gone to the extent of suggesting he use his health condition as an excuse not to contest in the election. “They suggested I tell my people that I want to rest and not contest in the election as I am not in good health,” said Jeffrey who did not reveal the identities of the people he was referring to. He said that, like the other PKR candidates who hold on to their commitment to bring about changes for the people in Sabah, he has rejected the offer. Jeffrey stressed that he and other PKR leaders who truly believe in the party’s struggle to fight for the people would firmly stick to their course and put the interest of the people above the opportunity to make a quick fortune. “So far none of the leaders took the offer and I hope this will continue for the sake of the party and the people,” he said. PKR State Liaison Chairman Ansari Abdullah supported Jeffrey’s claim, saying no candidate had abandoned the party so far and hopefully it would continue that way until the cooling period ended last night.