21 made homeless in Lahad Datu fires
Twenty-one people were made homeless when fires destroyed two houses here.
In the first fire at Kampung Lubang, a family of 12 lost everything after their wooden house was burnt to the ground on Sunday afternoon.
The fire was believed to have started at 6pm.
Fire and Rescue Services Department head Wash Massi said a fire engine with 10 firemen was dispatched to the scene after receiving a call at 6.16pm.
The fire was burning fiercely when the firemen arrived at the scene at 6.20pm.
They took about 20 minutes to control the fire and doused it at 8.07pm.
There was no report of death or injury, said Wasli, adding the cause of fire was still under investigation.
In the second blaze at Kampung Bikang, nine persons were made homeless after their house was destroyed in a fire which broke out around l am yesterday.
Meanwhile, another family lost all their personal documents and belongings in a fire which destroyed their house in Kampung Liau Laut Apin-Apin, Keningau last week.
However, no one was injured in the 10am incident as everyone was either at work or in school.
Firemen who rushed to the scene, managed to put out the fire one hour after it was reported.
According to the houseowner's wife, Alimah Biong, the estimated losses incurred in the incident was about RM60,000.
"All our personal documents including that of my husband, Terrence Underwood. were destroyed in the fire," she said.The family's burden were eased with the assistance provided by the Rural Development Ministry's Political Secretary, Daniel Kinsik.
Daniel handed over some food items and cooking utensils to Alimah when he visited the family recently.
He also warned house owners to always ensure that electrical appliances and the gas stove are turned off before they leave their houses.